Thursday, June 11, 2009

Back at last

I know it's been a while since my last post. No excuse, I've just been slacking off. Let's see, since then we finished our big chicken tractor and put the Easter chicks, Rhode Island Reds, and White Leghorns in it. Turns out that not all of the Easter chicks were males. We were told to expect that, but it seems that we got lucky. The hatched chicks are as cute as ever and growing big. They're in a smaller tractor. That just leaves the Black Australorps in a bin on the porch. No more chicks in the kitchen! Wohoo!! I celebrated the day we moved the last batch outside.

We had a major storm last night and the wind blew over the corn. It seems to be springing back up a little, so maybe it will be ok. The rest of the garden weathered it well. We have small cucumbers, squash and watermelon. The onions and radishes are ready and we go pull them up as we want to eat them. The beans and okra look good. A few other things are growing out there too. Seems we got a bit of a late start, but it's looking good!

Speaking of looking good, the blackberries and blueberries are growing like weeds too. We planted new strawberries and rasberries and they're both coming right along. The figs have figs, and one of the pear trees has pears. I guess that's better than it having peaches or apples, no? We even have a few plums getting ripe out there. Mmmmm, it's going to be good eating around here before long!

Well, that was a quick update of life here on the farm. I'm going to try to post more here, including pics of the place. Wish me luck!

The water's boiling, so I'm off to make my cup of hot. Goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment